On Les Aura! 28mm French Trench Raiders

They have a certain je ne sais quoi

This is a bit of a surprise post, I decided not to mention it on the Resolution post. Ed's superb Trench Raiders game is coming on in leaps and bounds and now I have my own bunch of derring-do raiders.

Some of you may know that I've been involved in Great War living history, with a French portrayal. I won't get onto my soapbox about the misconceptions now, as I don't want to sound like Gove. Nevertheless, I have a great interest and fondness for the poilus of la Première Guerre mondiale. 


Your happy author
It's also the first time in nearly two decades of wargaming that I could use photos of myself as reference images. I'll add that I didn't, that might be a bit egocentric even for me. But painting uniforms and kit that you own and have worn is a damn sight easier.

The Brigade miniatures are bloody lovely, perhaps a slightly limited number of minis with the raiders but they're so nice that I can't complain. And a few conversions next time will be fun.


They were an absolute joy to paint. I originally planned to have slightly more variety in the shades of horizon blue, but after the mixed base coats it was easier to keep things more or less consistent on the subsequent layers. I might mix up a couple of pots for the larger Platoon...  


The Painted Miniatures
 

The Adrian helmet or water bottle cover were painted in slightly darker blues (as they often were in reality) to contrast a little more, and the puttees slightly lighter. Similarly the musettes (knapsack) were painted in the colours of the two that I own to add a little variety. 


The horizon blue was a mix of Fenrisian Grey, Dawnstone Grey and Regal Blue. The final result ended up being slightly more blue than intended, but nothing a bit of weathering won't fix. And there shall be plenty of that. 


They're still a little rough round the edges, there's a couple of bits to tidy and the faces and (rather fantastic) moustaches need a bit more work. And next time I'm trying some suitably muddy western front bases...


Comments

  1. Cracking stuff, and as ever if anything they look better in the flesh. Looking forward to seeing those mud bases as well. How long did they take, out of interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta muchly sir. In total, just a couple of evenings, so pretty quick really. It's the by0hand undercoating that takes the time. Well it feels like a long, drawn out affair, and motivation-sappingly mundane...

      Delete
  2. Applying the base colours is the most grueling part of minis painting imo. But once it’s done, then the best and most enjoyable parts of the whole process can proceed.

    Your Frenchies are really cool looking, even more so with the background that you have a real uniform to base them off of! (Wish you’d gone with the early war red trousers though, but that’s just me.:P) Your selection of blues is a good spread, with each distinctly different, yet not so much they look off. Bravo.

    Speaking of uniforms, been looking to get me a replica WW2 RAF Armourer’s uniform made, the same style my Grandfather would have sported. Would be fun as heck to wear that when I go to my historical wargame tournaments.

    (O and I think you need to accent your own French WW1 look with a stick-on large ‘tache – just saying… )


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much sir. It was unusual having something to base it on - and I think you need to get that Armourer's uniform, definitely ;)

      The red trousers are tempting, but were only worn for a few months. Although "red trousers are France" as one politician put it.

      I usually have a suitably scruffy goatee when I go to events, this is an unusual photo in that I'm rather fresh faced (ish)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Fran, very much appreciated from yourself as always

      Delete
  4. A good post and beautiful figures!
    Phil...A frenchie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tres beau!

    Sadly the song's not working for me. Youtube here I come...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks muchly sir! Ah bugger, I was going to post Rosalie because of the bayonet connection, but I just rather liked the footage with that one

      Delete
  6. Kieran, those look absolutely terrific! I don't think they look rough at all….any self-respecting Poilu should have some mud on their boots! Really excellent stuff, mon ami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you! Oh they'll definitely look scruffier when I've finished weathering - mud aplenty.

      Delete

Post a Comment